Lost Sock Creations

Lost Sock Creations
what it's all about...

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Artlab Wall of Wisdom

 
Visit my TeacherPayTeacher store here.
Got lots of colorful designs to give your classroom "class" and brighten up your walls.
Check it out Yall'.
All of these poster ideas come from 14 years of teaching! I repeat the same phrases, rules or rhymes to my students and it just didn't seem to stick. Then I just started making illustrations of those things and there I was... with a big WALL OF WISDOM! I just keep adding and adding. Now I'm addicted to making POSTERS! I love lettering and illustrating. I love color and details. I love ART!
 
If you have an idea for a design, something that you have learned or teach your kids, let me know.
It may be my next poster!


Please visit my Teachers Pay Teachers store where you can get your own posters for your classroom!
Yay, you might just find a free one there...
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Lost-Sock-Art-Teacher


As an art teacher, there are things that I am continually telling my students. Things like...
"You are responsible for your own mess", or "Art requires patience above talent!", "There's no excuse for messiness!", "Don't use a waste a new piece of paper when you can use an eraser!".
Instead of repeating myself, I decided years ago to make a "Wall of Wisdom".
It is full of ideas to make your art better or my philosophy of a good art attitude.
This was my old wall of poster...

New wall at new school...
 
I've went Art Elementary in 2014 ;)
after 10 years of MIddle School
Elementary boys = PAPER AIRPLANES!!! 
WHat's the deal? And they are not even CREATIVE!
Maybe if they drew windows with passengers peeking through... or something, but NO!
SO, I have decided to BAN THEM FROM MY ROOM!
"Let your Imagination fly... 
NOT YOUR PAPER!" T. Morgan


Kill the dead space!
Fill it up with life, learn to turn!


Dear art student, 
I am not impressed by your speed. It's slow and steady that won. 
Love, 
Mrs. Morgan
Improved version


I have some kids that get super excited when they are the first ones done with their work. 
Being quick is not always a good thing.
Remember the tortoise and the hare?
Sometimes that means they did not take the time to be neat or to complete the work.
So, slow and STEADY wins the race.
Some kids work hard at first, then get tired, then quit doing their best.
If you start neat, finished neat.
Be consistent with your work.

I let kids know on the first day of school, 
that I do not grade them based on talent. Nobody can pick their talents when they are born. 
I am sure if they had a choice, all students would choose to be artistically inclined.
So, I grade on their "ARTtitude". Do they try, do the fix mistakes, do they improve, do they listen to advice?
Or do they give up, give half effort, or turn work in knowing it could be better?
It takes blood, sweat, and tears. It's about distance vs. speed. 

My pet peeve is when kids waste paper!
They put one measly mark down and then throw it away! UGHHHHH!
I want to just throw erasers at those wasters!
So, I made this sarcastic ad for the 
NEWEST INVENTION...
THE ERASER!

You don't have to be talented to be neat.
It just takes special care and patience. 
All you have to do is a back and forth motion with your hand while holding a crayon...
it's not that hard. 
So, I do grade hard on kids who are sloppy. It is just them telling me they don't care.
It's a bad "art"titiude.


In most cases, it is best to color dark. It shows up better, it pops out, and it reveals the true color.
At least if you don't color the inside dark, then emphasize it by outlining dark on the outside.
Plus, coloring darker is harder and more time consuming, which in the end shows more care.

I tell the kids that if the paper is big, draw big. 
Fill the space up. The picture is more important than the emptiness behind it. 
Drawing bigger allows the artist to include more detail as well.
If you have the room, use it!
Otherwise, you are wasting. 

Patience is a virtue... 
You have to practice patience while you create art.
When my students work hard by showing patience, 
I like to post their work online.



The great educational philosopher Harry Wong said something like this when I saw him speak. I just took what he said and make a poster for it. 

I let the kids talk while they work. 
As long as they do this responsibly,
But, if they talk more than they work, inhibit others from working because of their talking, or they fail because of their mouth, then they have a problem that needs to be fixed.

Art, the most important meal of the day.


Shhhhhhh!.... Draw secret, soft & light lines if you're not sure in the beginning stages. If you draw hard, yiu make it harder on yourself to fix.

I try to teach kids to avoid putting the too much pressure on their pencils in the beginning stages of drawing. 
So many times, they mess up, try to erase, but can't get rid of their original drawing lines. 
Then I make them use the back of the paper. If they already did, then I make them erase the lightest side. 
I do this to teach them to draw light till they KNOW they have it right. 


Kids beat, bang, and drop colored pencils.
This tears them apart!
Then they try to sharpen them and the lead falls out. 
It is a horrible result of an abused supply.
I have this to encourage them to treat the pencils like glass.
I keep the markers in a vertical storage tip down. 
This allows the flow of the ink to travel to the tip.
It increases the life of the markers. 

Some kids do not close the glue. This open hole lets air in and that air hardens the remaining glue under the cap. Then kids think that jabbing a larger hole in a clogged up glue bottle will make it work better. 
It will temporarily make it work better for them right then, but in the long run, this massive hole they poked just makes the tip get clogged even more from the extra air that gets in it.
This is a never ending cycle!
Since this annoys me, I made a poster to try to get my point across.

I also get tired of kids not cleaning brushes out. Then the paint dries on the brush, hardens the tip and it is never able to be used again. Or, they do clean it, but leave it with the bristles down. Then it dries bent and is permanently bent.

My are teacher from High School, Mrs. Liddell, had a poster like this one. I liked it, so I made one for my classroom. "Your mamma doesn't live here, so clean up your own mess".

My self made Principles chart...

Self made Elements chart...

Somplified my charts for elementary ;)



I decided to make this motivational poster for my classroom just recently. 
I did some research behind it and found the history of the original very interesting.
So, this is my parody of the We Can Do It poster.
------------
Think positive!





Mini Masterpiece wall
(Index card art)

4 kids per table, everybody has a purpose. 

Rules and rewards... 
Palette of positivity. 
Each class has a paper palette that colored stickers are added to for noticeable efforts. 




And that is my Art Class. 
Hope you are more the wiser!




75 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. I love all of the beautiful signs/posters! I need to make my own for my classroom too. I especially like the "draw light until you got it right".
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! Well thank you. Sometimes I feel silly like I am just doing this blog thing for me. I am just glad you got something out of it. Doesn't being an art teacher rock?! Go get busy making posters... good luck. share what you make.

      Delete
    2. Please know I love your blog and am grateful for so much sharing! Thank you!!!

      Delete
    3. I have the Draw Light poster download for free on TPT if you never got around to making your own. Have a great school year. God Bless.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Lost-Sock-Art-Teacher

      Delete
    4. I would love the let your imagination fly not your paper. I was looking to see if you have a store on tpt. I know I'm an art teacher and I can make my own but I just spent a huge amount of time making five paper mache frames and giant art palet out of cardboard and tissue so drawing posters didn't get done!

      Delete
    5. I taught in the gym last year and had issues with students makng airplanesand trying to throw them in the basketball hoops. I had to make a no plane flying rule. If I saw it fly it flew in trash I know mean teacher!!

      Delete
  2. These tips/reminders are all great and I have experienced them ALL! lol! Where do you find the time to make such amazing posters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the kids get started on their long winded projects and get to the point where they don't need me much, I just go find something to keep me busy. It is modeling the behavior. I like them to see me doing art beside them and they realize the impact it has. Hope you become blessed with the abundance of creative time. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. I don't teach art, but I still need the marker poster! I have high school students and fellow teachers who come in and want to turn all the markers to have the lid up. This is a great poster! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TabbyAnny, Do you sell your posters on Teachers Pay Teachers. I think I speak for a number of us when I say, "We'd purchase them!!!!" Love your wall full of bright words of wisdom and inspiration!

    Please consider it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOw! Thank you. I just make these posters cause I get annoyed of my students repeating the same mistakes no matter how many times I repeat or advise them not to. Posters say it when I don't want to. I have never thought of selling them and am not familiar with Teachers pay Teachers. I will have to look into that more. Thanks, and I will consider it.

      Delete
    2. I just found your blog and its fantastic! I need your posters, I am forever saying those very things to my students. Please consider listing them on Teachers Pay Teachers I would buy them, not only the messages but the quality are outstanding :)

      Delete
    3. I am now! Just got them on there last night. I am going to make more when time allows. Thanks for the idea and encouragement. There is one free poster on there to download if you would like. Have a blessed school year.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Lost-Sock-Art-Teacher

      Delete
  5. I love all of these! I found you via Pinterest and definitely need a wall like this in my art room. I have a few signs that I'm working on but love all of these. What is it with kids and needing constant reminders!? I guess we all like the attention, but this would be good. I bet you say "look at the board" a lot. Do you? Do you mind if I use some of your ideas for posters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I do not mind if you use any of these. Whatever makes your room run more smoothly. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am glad you like them and that you found me on Pinterest. I love that place! Never would have thought I could find such great ideas there.
      Enjoy and happy blogging!

      Delete
  6. These are fantastic! I got so many ideas from here. I teach high school art but these would work great with freshmen. Even the older kids could get something out of the messages here. Thanks for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Wow, WOW!!! You are so talented! Please consider printing these posters so we can buy them! I teach high school art and would love to hang these in my room!!! I teach ceramics, painting, 3d, puppetry, and a mural class so I do not have the time to invest to make my own. Besides, 2d isn't my strong suit! :) I would love to be your first customer! avansickle@riverviewschools.com
    Let me know how much you would charge to send me photos of them so I could print...of course, if you would allow. :)
    Awesomeness to it's finest!
    Artfully,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AT LAST!!! I got some stuff together. Hope you have a fabulously amazing school year. God bless you.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  8. Oh Wow, thank you Amy, you are so sweet. I would sell them but have some concerns. SInce I did not really do them with that intent, I would want to go back and redo them even better than they are. Some of them are not really that great in person and could use some perfecting. Also, I eliminated most of them and I do not know how that would work with photography and printing a good quality. I am going to look into it all this though. I live in a small town with high price printing since there is little to no competition. I would need to go into town and get them printed. Let me ask you first which ones you are most interested to go from there. Did you want them in poster size or just 8 by 10? If you want poster, I could probably get it done at a printing place in the "big" city (ha ha). Depending on the picture, It may be more easy to just free hand another one. Some I can do quickly and others took hours. It just depends. I have had a few others ask, so
    maybe this is something I should start seriously looking into doing. You sound like a lady of many art trades! Way to go. Let me know your thoughts and keep in touch.
    http://tabithaannthelostsock.blogspot.com/2012/10/artlab-wall-of-wisdom.html
    Tabitha Seaton of the Lost Sock

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity/focus with us! I have moved from Elementary Teaching to Art, Grade 6, which is in our Middle School. My first 2 years were just learning and absorbing content... now I am concentrating on classroom community. You are so right about repeating all of these poster topics, lol. I am spending a few weeks of making posters this summer and just wanted to personally appreciate your generosity. I also am adapting some for my daughter's first year of teaching high school English.
    I vote yes on Professional Publication as well. Have you considered contacting some of the major publishers? It might well be worth it...
    My compliments and thank you once again.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is cool, thanks for sharing it on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! Just found this art blog and I am highly impressed. God Bless You. Many, many wonderful posters,ideas,and you have a beautiful girt of art from are Lord Jesus Christ. I work at two different Catolic schools teaching art in preschool thourgh eighth grade. I love my job. Yes, I would also love to have some your posters. I guess I better get busy designing. Thanks so very much.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your art is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your talent on your blog! I found you on Pinterest :) I am also a middle school/high school art teacher, so I have been totally inspired by the posters!! Can't wait to draw some of my own for my classroom. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog. You are an inspiration. I was just hired in a new position and only have a week to prep my room. Eek! Would you mind if I print a few of your posters since they are not available for purchase? I want to make my own but I know I will not be able to make quality ones before next week. Double eek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your work!! Do you sell your posters?!?! If you don't, you should!!! I would be first in line to buy them all for my art room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go Megan.
      This hot mess is finally getting her stuff together. Hope you are good.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  15. I would be interested in posters too. Check Kinkos for copying posters. Not sure of the cost. I think you could make them copy paper size, scan them and print them larger at kinkos ... not positive. You are so creative and talented. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally got something together. Im a bit of a hot mess. But here is the TPT store if you are still interested. Have an amazingly blessed school year Laura.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  16. I'm really impressed with these great poster designs, would look great in any artroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish you had a teachers pay teachers site - I would buy these in a second!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASSSSS YOUUUUU WISHHHHHHHH (do you know what movie that is from?). Here they are on TPT. Hope it's not too late. THanks for your encouragement and interest. May your school year be blessed.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  18. These are so wonderful. I hope you don't mind. I posted a link to this post on my bulletin board blog. http://bulletinboardstoremember.blogspot.com/2013/09/if-you-color-dark.html
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your blog.Thanks for sharing. Very cool posters. Inspirational for doing my own in my classroom. Do you have the lesson plan for the Radial Paper plates? The link doesn't work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are SO GREAT!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of your colorful posters/bulletin boards. Your room must look magical! : }

    ReplyDelete
  22. any updates on getting your work available to sell? i too love your posters and would be more than willing to purchase them. many of us are capable of recreating or duplicating your work but to do so would be wrong and a waste of our time--you could greatly benefit from this. lcoffman@afcschools.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. Finally on TPT, but don't have much. God bless your new school year.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  23. i've not sold anything on teachers pay teachers but i have bought plenty. you could simply make them a pdf file and people could purchase them to print or to use as a slide show on the smartboard. this could all be done from the comfort of your classroom in a couple of hours and you would just sit and collect. definately look into it. please!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too would buy your posters in a minute! I LOVE them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your posters are fantastic! This is my first year as an ms/hs art teacher (finally, no more subbing!). My room has been so bare and your posters would be perfect to brighten and liven up the space. After seeing one on pinterest, I've spent the last few days making my own versions of your posters and am excited to put up a new motivational wall display for my students. Thank you for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your blog! I would love to be a student in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your talent and ideas! What a gift you have given to all of us art teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can we purchase these as prints from you? I just started teaching 7-12th grade art this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is late, but better late than never. Hope your years have been good teaching. Keep it up. Heres some posters if you are still hanging in the classroom. God Bless.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  29. I love these and with your permission may I add some to my collection. I started some myself after a student said "why dont you do a wall of the things you say a bunch, that way you can just point to the wall, you must get tired of repeating yourself." Ha, if they only knew. LOL This same student said she had dreams of me in the summer saying some of those now posters on my wall.
    Wow, your gifted.
    Spangles

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wish I could make money from these... But as a busy teacher and single mom of 2 it's slightly a joke ;) thank you for your encouragement and kindness. God bless the teachers. This wisdom wall is build by bricks of mistakes. Mistakes are what make us sm"ART" er... Right? Feel free to use my ideas in your own unique ways. Bless you in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I JUST STARTED two weeks ago in my school so I'm so blessed to find your blog. I have other responsibilities to the school (like yearbook & newsletter layout, main bulletin board, soon the website) so I hope I could find time to make my own posters with your ideas (and laminate them?). Thanks for allowing us to use your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am not an art teacher, but I just loved your posters. I teacher ELA/History core and the first unit that we must cover is writing a narrative. My students will be required to write an illustrated children's book. Your post has inspired me to cover some of the things you mentioned in your posters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your posters are amazing! You are truly a creative soul. Everyone's right, that you should sell them on tpt, and make some money! Thanks for the great ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. your encouragement set me to really think. This is my most popular post on the entire blog. This proves art teachers need posters, ideas, and don't have much time. It took your comment to really set me to seriously considering selling. It really took 12 years to make this collection, but my mind is still in poster design mode with a new set of younger students with more annoying habits :) I think my goal is the perfect the old ones, scan, print poster and sell on Etsy or Teachers pay Teachers. I will let you all know as soon as I shop around for a good printshop and get a selling store online. Have a blessed school year. Tabitha "Seaton" Morgan

      Delete
  34. Your posters are beautiful! Unlike the art companies, you really understand what art students need and the way they need it presented. TPT would be nice, but honestly I would love to have larger versions. Please post when you find a way for us to purchase them. Besides I would love to know that my money is going to support another art teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I would also love to purchase your posters. They are AMAZING!

      Delete
    2. Starting to sell on TPT. Thanks for the encouragement and May God Bless Your school year. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  35. super super super, simply love your wall of wisdom & ur approach towards ur projects & the detailed way in which you share them... keep up the good work, inspiring & sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you love to play with lights, then you'll love what lightsdaddy has to offer you. Decorate your space with delightful lights available at fraction of cost. Check them all now!wall lamp

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am totally impressed with your blog. You are an inspiration to Art Teachers and artists!!

    Thank you for the wonderful tips and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I LOVE YOUR Posters! Do you sell them? They are amazing and so creative! You explain space and craftsmanship so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. starting to sell. Thanks for your encouragement.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  39. WOW, Thank you everybody for the interest in these illustrated words of wisdom. Originally they just came up for my own art room to steer my students to remember to follow certain art rules. Because of your interest and encouragement, I have finally decided to make it my goal this summer to reproduce, scan, print and sell the images. It will take some hard work and dedication. The collection was made over a 13 year span of my career. But, I think I can do it slowly.
    Please help me by letting me know what your favorite posters are so I know which ones to reproduce first. They are all BIG and need to be made smaller and more intricately to be able to scan and copy to posters. So, let me know what your favorite is and as soon as I get them done I can send you the link to where to buy them from. Where would you suggest? Teachers pay Teachers, Etsy, Ebay... not sure. Thanks friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say Teachers Pay Teachers. I would buy almost all of them. Especially interested in weight of coloring, check list for artwork, "your momma", colored pencil, markers, brushes, if your mouth is moving, the eraser ad, slow & steady, learn which way to turn, does your picture have space. Please let me know as soon as they are available.

      Delete
    2. took your great advice. thank you. Have a God Blessed School Year!
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  40. This is THE BEST NEWS!!! I have been hoping and praying that you would do this-your posters are amazing. I love them all! I would buy them all as well. I don't care which ones you start with honestly, they are all great. Maybe colored pencils, markers, glue, paint brush storage? Honestly though, ANY you start with would sell. I'm not kidding when I say I'll buy them all. It may not be all at one time (I'm a poor art teacher you know) but I'll definitely get them all eventually. I'm so excited! Thank you for doing this!!! Oh-I personally think etsy or TPT. I'd skip eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! God Bless you pretty lady.
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  41. Thanks for the marvelous ideas! I am teaching art again this year (I also teach History and Psychology) but I finally get two classrooms so I needed some ideas to make my two classrooms different. I love your posters so I decided to make some of my own based off your ideas. Here's a link to my IG of two of them along with my art classroom decor (what I've gotten so far). https://www.instagram.com/p/BIYy0zmB7wu/

    Again, thanks for allowing us to use your poster ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did great. If you don't have time and do have money, you can download here. Have a great school year. God Bless.

      Delete
  42. Ok, got some originals made. Got prices to print them professionally. It's higher than I expected. I'm gonna keep working on some more originals & just take it slow. Thank you all for support. I will definitely post back when I get my stuff together. Feeling like a hot mess 😋

    ReplyDelete
  43. Can you sell them on Teachers Pay Teachers website? Most of the items on that website you buy as a down load then you can take it to a shop of your choice to print it. Or some large schools would have the capability to print it at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it girl :)

      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

      Delete
  44. Thanks to all of you for being interested in my posters, I have finally opened a TPT store! Just did it tonight cause my scanner started working! Yay! But I am rusty at the TPT and not sure how it works yet. So, go ahead and look and see what you think. If you want a poster that is not there, let me know and Ill do my best to reproduce it and get it scanned and loaded. Have a great school year my peeps. God Bless.
    https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-A-2710822

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love your work! I will definitely be purchasing some for my own classroom. I am also very interested in purchasing your checklist for your artwork poster, will you be putting that on your TPT store? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Been adding lots of stuff to the store... go check it out. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Lost-Sock-Art-Teacher

    ReplyDelete